Michael's philosophy is that children's writing is serious fun.
Michael merges his love of children’s books, teaching, and the outdoors into an entertaining and educational presentation about how he has created his outdoor book series. He sneaks students behind the scenes, allowing them to witness:
- the Six Traits applied by a professional writer,
- the writing process,
- illustration development,
- the publication process,
- and many other aspects of book-making, including FUN!
He looks forward to the opportunity to visit with your students.
Michael is a certified elementary and middle school teacher with a Master of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing for Children. He has several years of classroom and outreach teaching experience.EMAIL: countrykp /at/ gmail /dot/ com
PHONE: 660 dash 422 dash 1852
PRAISE FOR THE PRESENTATION“I especially liked the part about how many times you had to rewrite and revise your story. Thanks for sharing about how hard you worked to get the book ready to publish.”
Mrs. R., Teacher
“It was such an inspiration to our kids to meet a real author. Your presentation was great—its not easy to keep whole grade levels engaged!”
Tera B., Teacher
“You were awesome with our little ones!! I was amazed how you captivated their attention!”
Sue S., Teacher
“I thought your presentation was really neat. I thought it was funny what you did with your computer. I also thought your book was amazing! I had a great time. I never would have guessed that you wrote the book so many times before you published it. You write awesome books!”
Mallory N., 3rd grade Student
“Thank you for coming to our school! It was fun! I had a good time.”
Journey R., 1st grade Student
“The funny pictures you had with the boy and the lion have got me thinking about taking pictures and making them look funny, and then maybe writing a story.”
Jacob M., 5th grade Student
AUTHOR PRESENTATION FAQ
- NAME- Waguespack is pronounced /wag-us-pack/
- FEE- The fee is $250 with no travel fee unless an overnight stay is necessary.
(Contact me for overnight travel fee info. as it varies by distance, etc.)
- GRADES- The presentation is typically for K-6, but I've spent days at middle schools and presented to high school groups.
- AGE- The books are for K-3 grade levels (with an upper elementary title in the works).
- NUMBER OF PRESENTATIONS- Typically, I've done 5 separate presentations through a school day with groups divided by grade levels (often I take over the specials window that day). I use a PowerPoint presentation so small and large groups work as long as a room/auditorium is set up so all students can see the screen. I also need a tiny bit of space in front for when I have volunteers come up and interact.
- EQUIPMENT- Schools typicalIy provide a computer projector and screen. I usually bring a flash drive for use with a school computer (helps avoid compatibility issues), but if I need to bring a laptop, just let me know.
- DURATION- I like 40-45 minutes with questions, but the time of the sessions is rather flexible. A 5-10 minute window between groups is nice for me to have if possible.
- FREE BOOKS- I send 2 complimentary copies (yeah, free books!) of each story once the presentation is booked so that the librarian has a copy to present and students have one to check out. I've found this approach very beneficial for developing schema for the presentation.
- ORDERING BOOKS- I send a book order form to be copied and passed out to students a week prior to my arrival. I bring signed books the day of the presentation, and usually teachers exchange the order forms and money with me just after each presentation.